How to use nicotine lozenges:
- Stop all smoking when beginning therapy with the lozenge.
- Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before using the lozenge as some beverages can reduce its effectiveness.
- Suck on the lozenge until it dissolves. Do not bite or chew it like hard candy, and do not swallow it.
- Stop using the lozenge after 12 weeks. If you still feel the need to use the lozenge, talk to your doctor.
- Do not use the lozenge if you continue to smoke, chew tobacco, use snuff or any other product containing nicotine, including nicotine patches or gum.
The Commit Lozenge® comes in 2mg and 4mg strengths. The recommended strength depends on the “time to your first cigarette.” If you normally smoke your first cigarette less than 30 minutes after waking up, you should take the 4mg strength. If you normally smoke your first cigarette more than 30 minutes after waking up, you should take the 2mg strength.
The manufacturer recommends using at least 9 lozenges a day during the first six weeks. However, you should not take more than 20 lozenges per day.
Daily dosage recommendations are as follows:
- Weeks 1-6: one lozenge every 1-2 hours
- Weeks 7-9: one lozenge every 2-4 hours
- Weeks 10-12: one lozenge every 4-8 hours