The first step to get help quitting smoking through ASHLine’s Quit Coaching is to call, then we match you with a Quit Coach. But you might be wondering, “Why a phone call?”
Because we’ve found that a phone call is most effective.
After helping thousands quit, we’ve found it’s the best way to get you started quitting fast. There are several reasons why:
- It’s more efficient – By calling, you can speak with an enrollment specialist who can explain how the program works and what services are provided, like free Quit Coaching—and if eligible—free nicotine gum, patches or lozenges.
- It’s more personal – Talking to an enrollment specialist allows you to ask YOUR questions so you know exactly what to expect.
- It’s more effective – Using Quit Coaching can help make you 2x as likely to quit for good, and part of that success comes from matching you with the right Quit Coach. Talking to you allows us to ask you the right questions about your health history and the way you smoke to ensure the right fit.
- You can start quitting faster – Sometimes just talking about something can get you motivated. We’ve found that a phone call is the best way to help you start quitting right away.
Every person’s situation is different, and in order to match you with the right Quit Coach, we ask you for information about your tobacco use and your health. This helps us determine what services you need and helps your Quit Coach build a Quit Plan with you. We’ve found that doing this over the phone is the most efficient because we can ask you follow-up questions or clarify things and get you started quitting immediately. All information that you share with us is strictly confidential. See our policy.
Here are the first 5 questions you’ll be asked:
- “This is the Arizona Smokers’ Helpline—how may I help you?”
- “Are you calling for yourself?”
- “How did you hear about ASHLine?”
- “Is this your first call to the helpline in the past 12 months?”
- “Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?”
How to prepare for the call
What information will I be asked to provide?
- Phone number
- Mailing address
- Tobacco use history
- About any health issues
Do I need health insurance?
No, health insurance is not required.
- Free Quit Coaching details: ASHLine’s Quit Coaching services are free to all Arizona residents regardless of health insurance.
- Free nicotine gum, patches, lozenges details: If eligible, ASHLine also offers free nicotine replacement therapies like nicotine gum, patches or lozenges. You may be eligible for these if you are privately insured or uninsured. If you have Medicaid or insurance through the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS), then your Quit Coach will help you get quit medications covered by your insurance plan.
Are there qualifications?
The only requirement is for you to be an Arizona resident (and provide an Arizona address).
Is there anything that could disqualify me?
Other than not being an Arizona resident, no. If you happen to call and are from another state, ASHLine can connect you with the quitline for your state.
Getting ready to call
When is the best time to call?
Mornings around 7 – 9 am or evenings from 6 – 8 pm are the best times to call because they are the least busy.
When are the busiest times to call?
From 11 am – 2 pm every day.
When I call, will I talk to a person right away or is there a menu where I need to push buttons?
When you first call, there is an options menu where you’ll be asked to choose:
- Your language preference: 1 for English or 2 for Spanish
- Your type of service: 1 to “register for services” and sign up for Quit Coaching, (or 2 for healthcare providers)
Is there a chance I could be put on hold if it’s busy?
Yes, if all of our enrollment specialists are busy then you might be put on hold, but after a specified amount of time you’ll have a choice to either continue to wait until someone is available or leave a voicemail and get a call back from us.
What to expect during the call
How long does the first call take?
Generally about 15 minutes.
Who are the enrollment specialists?
The enrollment specialists are a diverse group of experienced students from a variety of backgrounds, some of whom are former smokers. Because ASHLine is located at the University of Arizona, our enrollment specialists are students who are highly trained and passionate about helping people quit tobacco.
What are the first 3 minutes of the call like?
The enrollment specialist will start by determining why you’re calling (if you’re calling for yourself or for someone else) to figure out what you need. Then, he or she will explain how the program works and answer any questions you may have.
What are the questions after that?
You’ll be asked about your demographic information, insurance status and about your health.
What is the purpose of asking those questions?
This information helps your Quit Coach create a personalized Quit Plan to help you deal with nicotine cravings and build a new tobacco-free life.
About getting matched with a Quit Coach
What data about me is collected?
We ask you about your demographic, insurance and health information.
Is my personal information protected?
Yes, ASHLine takes the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) very seriously and protects all of your information. Everything you share with the enrollment specialist and your Quit Coach is strictly confidential. You can read our full policy here.
How does ASHLine use that data to match me with a Quit Coach?
ASHLine considers the language you prefer, best times to call/text/email, your existing health conditions and any specific preferences you may have to match you with the ideal Quit Coach.
How long until my Quit Coach contacts me?
After completing your first call, your Quit Coach will contact you by phone, email or text depending on your preference within 24 – 48 hours (Monday – Friday). After that you’ll have weekly scheduled coaching sessions with your Quit Coach.
What if I need to talk to a Quit Coach right away?
Your coach will equip you with the strategies you need to deal with smoking urges. If you need to speak with your coach between scheduled calls, you can call him or her directly. If he or she is on the phone with another client, you can leave a message and he or she will call you back. If your coach is not available, you may also be able to speak with another coach depending on availability.
Get Started Today
Did you know? You can call us to get information for yourself or to help someone else quit.